Posts made in August, 2010

Call for entries: Creative Competitors

Open Poetry Competition 1st Prize: £150.00 2nd Prize: £100.00 3rd Prize: £75.00 Closing Date:  12th September 2010 Entry fee: £3.00 per poem or free to Premier 1 members You can be as creative as you like in our open poetry competition as there is no given theme. Poems must be previously unpublished and have a maximum of 40 lines. For details, visit:  http://creativecompetitor.com/competitions email: info@creative-competitor.co.uk   Memory Loss Fiction Competition  1st Prize: £150.00 2nd Prize: £100.00 3rd Prize: £75.00 Closing Date: 30th September 2010  Entry fee : £3.00 or free to Premier 1 members. You have only 650 words in which to craft your story (excluding the title). Be as imaginative as you like but your character must experience memory loss. Stories must be previously unpublished and pasted into the body of the email. Please ensure that line spacing is in place.– For more information: http://creativecompetitor.com/competitions Email:...

Read More

Doug Fir Fiction Award 2010:

The Bear Deluxe Magazine is pleased to announce the opening of the 2010 Doug Fir Ficton Award Contest. Our guest judge this year is journalist and novelist Jim Lynch. He is the author of The Highest Tide and of Border Songs, which was listed as a “Best Book of 2009” by the Washington Post, the Toronto Star, the Oregonian, and Amazon. We welcome submissions of previously unpublished short stories up to 5,000 words, relating to a sense of place or the natural world, interpreted as broadly or narrowly as you wish. Simultaneous submissions are not permitted. Winner: $1,000 and publication in The Bear Deluxe Magazine Finalists (2): Honorable mention and publication consideration. For guidelines and all other information visit: http://www.beardeluxe.org  About the Bear Deluxe: The Bear Deluxe Magazine is published by Orlo, a nonprofit organization focused on addressing environmental issues, art, and literature. It is one of the country’s most acclaimed environmental publications and has been recognized by Print, Utne Reader, Orion, Adbusters, Library Journal, Outside, the Oregonian, the Willamette Week, Portland Monthly, the Oregon Arts Commission, Oregon Cultural Trust, Oregon Council for the Humanities, Regional Arts & Culture Council and Bumbershoot Arts Festival for editorial and design excellence. Founded in 1993, it has featured the work of many established and emerging writers and artists, including Katherine Dunn, Rick Bass, Gina Ochsner, David James Duncan, Leslie Savin, Matt Love, Robert Cooperman, Paulann Petersen, Anna Ray-Jones, and Loretta...

Read More

PARIS WRITERS NEWS SHORT STORY CONTEST

Genre: Short fiction (with some link to Paris) Closing date: 30 November 2010 Prize: 200 euros for first prize, plus publication of twelve best stories Entry fee: 10 euros Restrictions: Maximum 5’000 words. Submission in the body of the email only Further information: 12 stories will be selected to appear in the book: “BEST AND MOST DELIGHTFUL STORIES ABOUT PARIS” to be published fall 2011 Internet site for details and updates http://parisstoriescontest.blogspot.com/   We have just announced the judges at : http://www.laurelzuckerman.com/2010/08/judges-announced-for-pwn-short-story-contest-about-paris.html   And the American Library in Paris has just published a FAQ about the contest at:...

Read More

Last Call for Entries: Scinti Short Story Contest

Everyone has a story. We want yours. We are looking for true stories that astound, enchant, enlighten and startle us. We want to be swept up and away, pulled from our moorings, left shaken and inspired. We want to think, wonder, imagine, believe. Do you have a story that is especially meaningful to you, something hilarious or harrowing that touched you deeply, changed your heart, your soul, your way of seeing the world? It can be the story of you, a loved one, a stranger, a moment, a day, a lifetime. We hope you’ll share it here with us and with people around the world. Entry Requirements: 1. “Like” Scinti on Facebook. 2. You can express yourself in any format – stories (100 to 3000 words), poems, photo stories, hand written letters, drawings, whatever you can imagine! 3. All formats must be digital (emailed). Feel free to send previously published stories you have written, such as stories from your blog. If you are using previously-published material, please provide a link (if applicable) to your work so we can give credit where credit is due. Rules: 1. Submissions must be true stories, not fictional. 2. Submissions must be your own original content. 3. Although entries remain the property of the writer, finalists agree to acknowledge first publication in Scinti.com in the credit line for all subsequent publications (unless your work has been published previously). Process and Prizes: Deadline: August 31, 2010 After reviewing each submission, we will pick the most scintillating stories for our finalists and the winners will be by popular choice, based on Facebook likes on our fan page. The prizes are as follows: 1. First Prize – $100 2. Second Prize – $50 3. Third Prize – $25 Finalists and winners will be announced by mid-September, 2010 Visit the website for details and to enter submissions at:...

Read More

Aojirouma Publishing: Writing Contest

Aojirouma Publishing is sponsoring a new writing contest this year beginning August 12, 2010 for all writers in all countries. The contest will be split into two primary categories, prose and poetry. Below is a description of the contest:   Life is often described as a journey with detours at every corner. Whether that journey has a destination is reliant on the individual’s ambitions, beliefs, and desires. With literature being a reflection of life, it is only natural that a canon be born from this universally accepted analogy. Great works like The Adventures of David Simple by Sarah Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling by Henry Fielding, and Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe explored the literal meaning of the journey. For this contest, Aojirouma Publishing charges authors from around the world to submit an original work exploring the journey. Submissions may be of any genre, but this year we will be requiring writers to move outside their comfort zones. We want both seasoned and new authors to study and incorporate the writing styles of our masters who composed during the Eighteenth Century. Poets may want to pay particular attention to artists like Alexander Pope, Jonathan Swift, and Robert Lloyd who included specific motifs in their poems concerning the journey.   Prose • Maximum of one submission • Less than 10,000 words in length • Font: Times New Roman, 12 pt, Double Spaced • Style: Eighteenth-Century Prose • Start: August 12, 2010 • Deadline: November 1, 2010 • Submission Fee: $10.00 Poetry • Maximum of three submissions • Font: 12 pt • Style: Eighteenth-Century Poetry • Start: August 12, 2010 • Deadline: November 15, 2010 • Submission Fee: $10.00 (For all three submissions)   Three winners will be selected from each category, a total of six winners. First place winners will receive $50.00, an award for their winning submissions, recognition on our website, and, most importantly, will choose which charitable organization receives 70% of all proceeds collected. Second place winners will receive $25.00, an award for their winning submissions, recognition on our website, and will be offered the chance to choose a charitable organization of their choice for the remaining 30% of the proceeds. Third place winners will receive an award and recognition on our website. Every winner will have their works published in an anthology released once every three years by Aojirouma Publishing. Authors must download, print, and complete a waiver form on our forum for their work(s) to be published. Winners will be announced December 10th, 2010. Updates and the following information may be accessed at our forum: http://aojirouma.proboards.com. Registration is not required to access the thread.   Submissions with their waiver form may be sent...

Read More